Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Research Blogging-The Early Returns are In

About two thirds of my students opted to complete blog posts rather than note cards for the research process.  The results of these posts were uneven as I expected.  Grading the first posts even caused me to make a couple of revisions to the rubric which can be viewed here.  Unfortunately, too many didn’t include much of an opinion or analysis of the material they were presenting.  This is understandable since they are used to doing academic writing where the source material and not their own voice is usually emphasized.
What excites me is when I read a first post like this one which I highlighted as a model for the class.  I’m hoping my students are going to be able to maintain this passion and that it translates into research papers with voice and character.

No comments: